What type of farm work is possible in Chile?

Most of the jobs on a ranch or farm can be found in the heart of Chile, i.e. in the central region, as well as in the south of Chile. In the central region you have the opportunity to help with horse breeding, fruit and vegetable cultivation or on wineries. In the south of Chile, i.e. in the lake region as far as Patagonia, you have the opportunity to work at cattle and dairy farms or on so-called estancias, large sheep farms or horse breeding. You can of course also help out on tourist farms, riding stables and haciendas. The ranches and farms are either located in the vicinity of large cities or in complete seclusion. You can find selected examples of farm work in Chile in our job database. Simply let us know your exact requirements in your inquiry.

How far in advance should I register?

We recommend that you register approx. 3 to 6 months prior to the desired farm work date, so that you can plan and prepare your trip in peace. If you can’t wait to go to Chile, you can of course shorten the preparation phase. In general, there are no registration deadlines with us.

Ranchstay Chile

What are my chances of getting a suitable job?

Due to our good contacts with a wide variety of farms, haciendas, horse stables and estancias in Chile, you don’t have to worry. We find suitable farm work for all of our participants.

What exactly is a Ranchstay?

A ranch or farm stay is a job on a farm, ranch, horse farm, agricultural operation, tourist horse farm, etc. in return for food and lodging. This means that you will receive free board and lodging for your work. So you live and work on the farm and are fully integrated into the daily routine.

Can I travel with a friend?

Yes of course! Most of our participants choose different jobs, but in the same location, as most program positions usually only take one farm worker at a time. With you being both in the same place, you can exchange ideas and spend your free time together. Nevertheless, we would be happy to find a joint program position for you, but since there are limited jobs, we cannot guarantee it.

Is a specific start date or duration required?

The duration and start date of your ranch stay  is determined by you. Most participants choose a duration between 2 and 4 months. The absolute minimum duration is 4 weeks. The maximum duration for farm work is 6 months. Of course, you can combine several different jobs and stay in Chile for as long as you want.


What are the working hours for a ranch stay in Chile?

The work week is usually 30 to 40 hours per week. However, some jobs require flexibility. It is possible that you have to work on the weekend and get time off during the week. Especially on tourist farms with riding excursions and overnight stays or animal farms, work is of course also carried out on weekends.

Who can participate? Do you need previous knowledge?

Certain prior knowledge is not required. Anyone who would like to work and live in the country for a while can take part in a ranch stay in Chile. You should have fun with physical work and the nature-loving country life. We also do not make any restrictions on citizenship. Our service is available to participants from all over the world. We place participants who have just finished school, students or professionals who want to do a sabbatical, for example.

Do I need horse riding skills for a farm stay?

At horse farms, horse stables, horse breeding businesses or in riding centers, it is of course an advantage if you already have riding knowledge and experience working with horses. If you have no experience in this area, placement is still possible, but it may take a little longer. In addition, there are of course jobs on farms (sheep breeding, cattle farms, fruit growing, dairy farms), in which riding skills do not play a role.

Is Chile a safe travel destination?

Chile is clearly one of the safest countries in Latin America. The big cities are just as safe as most European cities. You can move around freely and carefree anywhere, as foreigners are generally treated in a friendly manner in Chile. Of course you should be careful with larger gatherings – just like everywhere else in the world, as pickpockets occur in Chile. You can find more information in our travel tips.

Rinderfarm Chile

What vaccinations do I need?

In general, no special vaccinations are required for entry into Chile. A yellow fever vaccination is only required for trips to Easter Island when entering from certain tropical countries. Tropical diseases such as malaria, yellow fever or dengue fever do not exist in Chile.
But in any case you should have all common standard vaccinations such as tetanus, diphtheria and hepatitis A + B refreshed. You can find more information about vaccinations in our travel tips.

When will I get a confirmation for my job?

After you have registered and paid the registration fee, we will actively take care of your placement. We will create a personal applicant profile for you in Spanish and introduce you to suitable program positions. As soon as we have an acceptance, we will send you our program offer with detailed information about your farm work. If you like our offer and would like to accept the job, you will receive a booking confirmation with all further information. Usually this process takes between 4 to 8 weeks.

What language skills do I need?

For a farm stay, basic to medium knowledge of Spanish is usually sufficient. You should be able to understand work instructions and make yourself understandable as most Chileans in rural areas do not speak any foreign languages.

But even if you don’t speak any Spanish or speak very little, that’s no problem. In the Spanish schools we have selected, you will reach the required language level in a few weeks before you start your ranch stay. A minimum course duration of 6 weeks is recommended for beginners.


Can I register for a ranch stay even if I don't speak Spanish yet?

Are farm jobs paid in Chile?

You will receive accommodation and meals (full board) for free.

Where will I live during my farm stay?

Where you live depends on your placement. If we offer you a farm job, you will always find detailed information in our offer. In most cases you will be accommodated directly on the ranch grounds. For example, in the house of the farm owner, in a staff house or in the house of the manager and his family.

Farm in Patagonien

Will I be picked up at the airport upon arrival?

We would be happy to organize an airport transfer for you. This saves you the hassle of searching for and negotiating with the taxi drivers at the airport. Should you first attend a language school in Santiago, your taxi driver will bring you directly to your accommodation. If you would like to travel directly to your farm, you will receive precise directions from us. The taxi driver will then take you to the bus terminal in Santiago for your onward journey.

Will my parents still receive children benefits?

We will send you a certificate of attendance for your farm work to present to your child benefit fund. The respective clerk at your child benefit fund will decide whether or not the child benefit will continue to be paid. Unfortunately we have no influence on this.
Tip: If you do the farm work e.g. as a preparatory internship for your studies or e.g. if you want to study languages, this can have a positive influence on the decision on whether or not to continue paying child benefit.

What insurance do I need?

In order to participate in a farm stay program in Chile, you need at least a foreign health insurance plan so that you are insured in the event of illness or an accident. We offer travel insurances that are tailored for a farm stay in Chile and offer additional protection (illness, accident, liability, luggage) at affordable monthly premiums. You can inform yourself about the conditions and costs here.

Visum Chile

Do I need a special visa for a Ranchstay in Chile?

As long as you are not paid for your farm work or have a permanent job in Chile, you do not need a special visa, unless your employer requires a working holiday visa. Normally, however, the so-called Tarjeta de Turismo is completely sufficient to pursue unpaid activities. You will receive this automatically when you enter Chile. You can find more information about visas in our travel guide for Chile.

Do you have a 24 hour emergency number?

Yes. In the very unlikely event that problems arise during your stay in Chile, we are of course always at your side. Regardless of whether the problems are related to your farm work or are of a different nature, we are happy to help you at any time. With the confirmation of your farm stay, you will receive a 24-hour emergency number from us. This means that you can reach us outside of our business hours in an emergency.

Do I receive a certificate for my farm work?

Yes. After successfully completing your farm stay, you will either receive a certificate from the employer or from us. You can also request a job reference from your employer.

Gaucho Chile

How much does a ranch stay cost to arrange?

After a binding registration, a deposit is due. The remaining costs only arise after successful placement. If a successful placement is not possible, you will of course receive your deposit back. You can find all information about the costs here.

More information about ranch stays in Chile

All information about prices for a ranch stay or farm work in Chile, examples of jobs and the registration process can be found here. You can send us a non-binding inquiry and we will answer all your questions! Of course, you can also register directly and get a great job on a farm right away.