|Animals, NGO & Foundations
|at least 3 weeks
|18 years or older
|Spanish (mid level)
The non-profit project is dedicated to the protection and conservation of the biodiversity on the island of Chiloé. The organization consists of researchers, professors and volunteers and is used by both private as well as state institutes.
The sanctuary takes care of native animals that could not survive in their natural habitat due to injury or illness. The animals are nursed back to health, rehabilitated and in the best case released back into the wild. The center is home to animals such as foxes, eagles, sea lions, deer, pudus, small wild cats, birds, penguins, and others. The animal population can change.
In addition, the organization is committed to educating the population on environmental and animal protection issues. From time to time lectures are given in schools for this purpose.
If you are working as a volunteer in this project, the following tasks will be included:
- Rescue injured or sick animals
- Care of the animals (feeding, medical care, medication, etc.)
- Cleaning of cages, enclosures and facilities
- Observation of animals and data collection
- New construction, reconstruction and repair of enclosures and buildings
- Care of the vegetable garden
- Environmental education for children
Good physical fitness, initiative, love for animals
mid level of Spanish (A2-B1)
We would be happy to organize a preparatory Spanish course in Chile for you. more info
Approx. 30-40 hours per week
In the winter months between the beginning of May and the end of September the weather is cold and rainy. For participants not fond of rainy and cold weather , the best time period is between the beginning of October and the end of April, depending on the climate.
International travel health insurance is required. Liability insurance with international protection and travel cancellation insurance is recommended. You should also take out accident insurance for activities in particularly dangerous areas. more Info
In general, no special vaccinations are required. We recommend that you contact your general practitioner or an appropriate travel doctor before you travel. more info
No special visa is required. We do recommend that you contact the responsible Chilean consulate before you start your journey. more Info
Do you have any questions? You can find many more answers in our FAQ page on Volunteering in Chile
You can also write us an email at any time or simply give us a call. Contact
mit Unterkunft und Selbstverpflegung
- Vermittlung einer Freiwilligenarbeit in Chile
- Unterkunft im Mehrbettzimmer in Mitarbeiter- bzw. Freiwilligenhaus mit Selbstverpflegung
- Persönliche Beratung und Unterstützung bei allgemeinen Fragen während deines gesamten Aufenthaltes
- Übersetzung deines Lebenslaufs auf Spanisch
- Persönlicher deutscher Ansprechpartner vor Ort
- 24-Stunden Notfallnummer in Chile
- Programmbestätigung für Visumsantrag (falls ein Visum nötig sein sollte)
- Teilnahmebescheinigung für deine Freiwilligenarbeit
- Infobroschüre mit den wichtigsten Daten und Fakten zu Chile
- Nützliche Infos und Tipps zu deinem Aufenthalt
Combine volunteering with work and travel, ranch stay or internship
If you are planning a longer stay, you can e.g. also combine 2 volunteer work for 3 months or 1 volunteer work and 1 work and travel job, an au pair, ranch stay or internship throughout different locations in Chile. Our programs can be combined with one another as needed. The best thing is, if you combine several programs in Chile, you will receive the following discounts on the program cost.
Accommodation and Meals
You live in a shared room in the volunteer house. Life on Chiloé is not for city people! The volunteer house is very simple and isolated.
You have self-catering and cook with the other volunteers. The volunteer coordinator takes care of the grocery shopping. Internet connection is available, however, the connection is weak.
Chiloé is located in the south of Chile and is the second largest Chilean island. It lies between the lake region and Patagonia in the Pacific. Your volunteer project takes place northwest of the city of Ancud. Chiloé is characterized by high biodiversity and pristine nature.
Chiloé is very unique with its own rhythm of life, customs, music, stories and its own cuisine. Living in Chiloé is a bit like going back in time. Ideal for everyone who wants to escape the hectic everyday life of city life.